I had to deliver my first speech last night in class. The assignment was to write a manuscript tribute speech. We could pay tribute to any person, place, thing, event.... Here is mine. I received a 49 out of 50! Why the one point you ask! Because I spelled IF instead of IT! Sadness! (Please note if you are a grammar getter, the speech is written for how it would have been SAID not READ! Thank you ;D
Warning! The contents of this speech are true and have a strong possibility of inducing tears!!
In the book of Matthew chapter 18 verse 3 IF says, ‘Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven’. In the past I had a hard time understanding what this meant. Why do we need to be like children? Doesn’t our growth, knowledge and test of trials help us along this journey? Over the past couple of years I have been blessed to have a shining example of how to gain child like faith. That example is my five year old daughter Lanycia.
When she was 2 years old she offered her first personal prayer. My husband was away with work, and my brother who is in the Navy surprised me with a visit. As my brother prepared to leave I became very emotional. As I talked with my brother I began to cry. Lanycia asked, “What’s wrong mommy”? Tearfully I told her that I was sad that Uncle had to leave. With wisdom beyond her years she replied, “Say a prayer”. Without hesitation she closed her eyes, bowed her little head and said, “Father, bless Mommy for to see Daddy. Amen”. I am amazed by the faith she instinctively had. That through prayer I would be comforted.
Every night my family gathers together for scripture and family prayer. Lanycia is always enthusiastic and willing to share her understanding and thoughts on what we have read. She also asks if she can say the prayer every single night. Without hesitation she will offer a beautiful blessing for our family.
Over the summer I took my daughters to Savannah for a girl’s day out. Of all the fancy places we could have had lunch, my girls chose Mc Donald’s. After our food was ordered and we had found a seat Lanycia quickly asked, “Who will bless the food”? Of course without hesitation it was her who offered the prayer. I am so proud that Lanycia is not ashamed to express her faith. When she started kindergarten I asked her if she was going to bless her food at lunch time. In the cafeteria. In front of all her friends. She said, “Yes! You always have to bless your food”!!
My favorite example of Lanycia's faith came just a couple weeks ago. Before bed time I had been helping my younger children clean there room. Under Lanycia’s bed I found a glue stick. First off she is not supposed to have any of the art stuff in her room, and second I had not bought this glue stick. I asked, “Where did this come from”? Lanycia said, “From church”. I said, “You stole this from church”? I don’t think she had intended to bring the glue stick home.
But when the word stole came out of my mouth she automatically knew it was wrong and that she was probably in trouble. She started to cry and say that she was sorry. Explaining to me that it was an accident.
When I left the room and walked down the hall I heard Lanycia offer a prayer of repentance. Lanycia was crying and asking for forgiveness. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry” is what she cried out. Tearful “please forgive me’s”, followed. After a short time I went in to comfort my sweet little girl. I asked her if she felt the Lord had forgiven her. Without hesitation she said, “Yes. He said its ok, to calm down and go to sleep”.
Although I am the parent and must set the example of righteousness, Lanycia has an amazing light in which she has always been willing to share. How can I not gain a testimony when the greatest act of faith is right in front of me? I am so thankful to the Lord for the opportunity to be a mother! He has blessed me with Lanycia!! And who could ask for anything more!!
I love the Fall Season
13 years ago

4 comments:
Oh my goodness. How I love Lanycia. So, so much....this is just too much! In the best way.
That girl's got an old (and wise) spirit in her body :) That pure faith will see her through life.
wow, you're right, i almost cried when i read this! that is sooo sweet. i would give you a 50/50 ;)
btw i know it says chucknorris but this is maddie!!
and i know this is an old comment but this is the 1st time i've seen ur blog!
Post a Comment